Thursday, May 9, 2024

I Called the Devil and He Came Text

I Called the Devil and He Came

by Heinrich Heine

I called the devil and he came;

And then I saw, with a wondering gaze,

He was not hideous, he was not lame,

But a genial man with charming ways.

A man in the very flush of his prime;

Experienced, suave, and in touch with his time.

As a diplomat, his talent is great,

And he speaks wisely of Church and the State,

True, he is pale; but it's little wonder,

For Sanskrit and Hegel he's staggering under.

His favorite poet is still Fouque;

As critic he finds that the work is a bother,

So Hecate now, his beloved grandmother,

Has taken the task and enjoys it, they say.

My legal studies called forth his laudation;

He too, in his youth, found them quaint recreation.

He said that my friendship could never be

Too dear for him, and bowed to me,

And asked had we not met some place -

Perhaps the ambassador's? And with that sentence

I looked more closely at his face,

And recognized an old acquaintance.